Grwp Llandrillo Menai
Length of Contract
Wynne Construction was appointed by Coleg Llandrillo Cymru to build the new £6m teaching block at the Glynllifon campus of Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor.
The new college facility is located next to the Glynllifon Campus on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park. The site location was chosen as having the least impact upon the Special Area of Conservation that concerns the whole Parc Glynllifon Estate. The building was designed to minimise its environmental impact on the site and wider community and uses the most efficient position to suit the existing terrain to minimise excavation.
All Wales LABC Building Excellence Awards 2012 - Winner: Best Educational Building
North Wales LABC Building Excellence Awards 2012 - Winner: Best Educational Building
Coleg Glynllifon, Llandwrog was a finalist in the National LABC 2012 Awards
News article..First Minister hails Glynllifon's green success - Official Opening (24th May 2012)
Work on site started in August 2010 and was completed by September 2011.
This project was the second phase of the Glynllifon campus development by Coleg Llandrillo who recently merged with Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor. The whole development known as the Pentref Addysg @ Glynllifon (PA@G) Learning Village was funded by the Welsh Assembly Government.
The new college is divided into three two storey buildings connected by two cores and corridors. The accommodation is organised into shallow and deep rooms to cater for the various uses comprising classroom accommodation, auditorium, laboratories and animal welfare facilities.. Each block has a green roof. Rainwater from the gutters is saved to a grey water harvesting system for re-use flushing toilets. Also at roof level are fresh air chimneys at each structural bay and these assist naturally to vent the rooms below. A new fence line was formed in a traditional timber style to the east which has been carefully assessed to suit the flight path of the indigenous Bat population.
The building performance has been assessed using the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) Education 2008, and has achieved a rating of 'Excellent'.
The key features which have been incorporated into the building fabric in order to achieve this rating are:
- High thermal resistance of the building fabric, using composite insulated timber panels detailed to achieve a low air leakage rate, thereby reducing heat loss during winter;
- A natural ventilation strategy to teaching areas using 'passive stack' vents ventilation, eliminating the need of mechanical ventilation to teaching areas;
- Energy efficient services, controlled by a Building Management System (BMS) to reduce the energy demand;
- Use of low carbon technologies, including a biomass boiler, thermal hot water panels and photo-voltaic cells to reduce the carbon demand of the building;
- Use of low water demand sanitary ware, supplemented by collection of the rainwater, which is used to flush the w.c. and urinals.
- Thermal hot water panels used to heat the hot water;
- Photovoltaic cells to produce electricity.
- Gross Internal Floor Areas 2387m2
- Total area of site 2.3 hectares
- Functional Areas:
- Teaching Areas:
+- 14 - 16 Years - 136m2
+- 16 - 19 Years - 545m2
- Independent Learning Support - 161m2
- Student Services - 81m2
- Offices (Administration) - 276m2
- Library/Communal Areas - 200m2
- Student W.C.'s - 95m2
- Staff W.C.'s - 40m2
- Cleaners Stores - 22m2
- Plant Rooms - 45.6m2
- Circulation Space - 703m2
- Basic Building Cost - £1391/m2
- Services Cost(M&E) - £540/m2
- External Works, including drainage - £404/m2
Predicted Water Consumption
- Predicted water use - 5.92 m3/person/year
- 55.39% predicted water use to be provided by rainwater harvesting
The following studies have been undertaken to mitigate any ecological impact.
- Ecological Survey, including monitoring of bat populations around the site;
- Flood Risk Assessment;
- Archaeological Investigations and monitoring;
From these studies, the following measures have been introduced:
- Tree planting to provide a Bat corridor around the site, along with the provision of additional nigh roosts;
- Sustainable drainage systems, to minimise and control the rainwater run-off from the site;
02-Sep-2010 - Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor, Caernarfon
27-Apr-2012 - LABC North Wales Success
24-May-2012 - Pentref Addysg @ Glynllifon: Official Opening
24-May-2012 - Ysgol Yr Hendre: Official Opening
14-Sep-2012 - LABC All Wales Award
15-Nov-2013 - Ysgol Yr Hendre - Value Award 2013
03-Apr-2014 - Contract Award for Sailing Academy in Pwllheli
The new Management Centre at Coleg Cambria, Northop campus was designed by Design Group, Chester and provides state-of-the-art facilities for the Cambria Busin... ...
Wynne Construction has been awarded the contract, to design and build a new centre for Coleg Cambria's Yale site in Wrexham. The new three-storey, 96,0... ...